Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Helmet Head

Well, yesterday was the day! Becks got his helmet. I was at girl's camp with our ward on Monday night and Steve buzzed Beck's head that night while I was gone to get him ready...Becks tends to sweat a lot so they said shorter hair would be best and it also allows us to monitor where the helmet is rubbing his head.

Anyway, Beck did SO well at the doctors office. We were there for about an hour while they measured and fit and cut the helmet just right for his little head. He wasn't so sure about it for about 10 minutes, but then it was no big deal to him. He's a champ! We're building up his wear time with the helmet. So day one, yesterday, he wore it 1 hour on and 1 hour off and did not nap or go to bed in it. Today he wears it 2 hours on 1 hour off and also does not nap or go to bed in it. Tomorrow he's 4 hours on and 1 off with sleeping in it. Friday is 8 hours on and 1 off with sleeping. And by Saturday he'll be wearing it 23 hours on and 1 hour off with sleeping in it. He's allowed to take it off for baths and to work with his physical therapist, but that's about it. The doctor said he's scheduled to be in it for 3 months but that it could be less. We have to go into the Dr. once a week to have readjustments made and for Beck to be measured to see if we're getting any changes.

Steve thinks it's great and wants to show Beck off like a proud dad :o) I, on the other hand, have been taking it a tad harder. It just makes me sad that he has to go through this...even though it doesn't seem to bug him. I just have that guilty mom thing going and think that I could have prevented it before it got to this point. But, I'm told because of his neck problems it was kinda inevitable. Anyway, I go through spurts of crying through my smiles but we're working day by day. Becks is still SO happy and really is being a super star about the whole thing. I couldn't have asked for a better baby!


The design and color of the helmet isn't exactly as they described it to be and that made me a little upset, but at least it's not pink or purple. It's still blue-ish and it's not like I can change it anyway. The pictures make it look like it rubs his ears, but it doesn't really. It is super close to his ears, but it doesn't rub them or push them out...it kinda rests on them. The helmet will get smaller as we go in for adjustments, so by the end it wont be so far down his neck or on his cheeks. Nor will it be so close to his brow line in the front. And after the first 2 weeks they can put in some ventillation pockets so our little guy wont get too hot. We'll continue to keep you all posted and will make sure to post lots of pictures.

18 comments:

Heather Strong said...

He looks so cute! Don't beat yourself up - lots of babies have to wear helmets! It happens to the best of the best. At least he is a good sport and still looks adorable!

Julie said...

He looks like a little football player or baseball player (except for the whole in the top). He really does look cute in it all smiley and everything!

Anonymous said...

He looks like a little athlete! I love it! I like the design of it too! P.S.~You're a wonderful mom, and you can tell by the constant smiles on their faces!

Anonymous said...

Forget the helmet...what amazes me are two things:

You spelled "allowed" as "aloud"...yikes!

And one of my daughters actually went to Girls Camp...double yikes!!

Your friends are right...you are a great mom.

Love Mom and Dad

The Brown Family said...

HAHAHA, thanks dad! The spelling mistake was honest...every other allow or allowed was correct ;o)
And when you're put in a calling in our ward you have to dive in head first.
Love you!

Team Fraser said...

he looks super cute! I love that pic of him looking a little confused. Hang in there...3 months will fly by...at least I hope so cause I'm still pregnant!!!

Anonymous said...

"head first"? Maybe YOU need the helmet!

Beck is darling, truly. I hope he weathers the helmet storm well.

Give him (and Tessa, of course) kisses from us. (Okay...and Steve too)

Much love, Dad

Levi and Suzi said...

He looks so happy with his helmet on, and not to mention...cute! It just needs some boyish stickers or something to decorate it. Definitely don't beat yourself up over it. I think you're a great mom. In fact, I've thought of you and your good example a lot since I became a mom for the 2nd time!

brownfam said...

I feel bad for you guys. But look at that cute chubby face. He is so cute. We miss you guys. Hey by the way, could you send me those cards from Parker's baptism. Tell everyone hi.

Unknown said...

You have been doing so much fun stuff! I am super jealous. I have been at home being fat... It was so great to chat today! Love and miss you.... and don't believe you aren't anything but an amazing mother. You and I both know it's true!

Bri or Aaron said...

Oh he looks cute in it! That would totally stink though.

The Marsing's said...

Your kids are little pimpers Mr. Deevin ditz. Been WAY too long since I last heard from the east coasters....love reading about your cute little fam.

The Johnson Family said...

Talk about a cute kid. I think he looks super cute sportin the new helmet. I am glad that he is doing so well with it. I am with everyone else when I say that you are a great MOM!!, wife, and friend. 3 months will be over before you know it (especially because it is actually fabulous weather here in Erie).

Michelle Baird Designs said...

I think he looks pretty dang cute with that blue helmet. And he has a smile on his face too! I can tell he is going to love football.

Alesha said...

I love him! And everytime I see him in it he makes me smile!

The Anglesey Family said...

Please don't beat yourself up! However, I am being a hypocrite by saying that because I do the same thing all the time with Brax. I am getting a little better....But its hard seeing a child go through health issues.
He looks sooo cute with that helmet. I just want to pinch his cheeks off!!! I love babies!

Nick and Deanne said...

He looks really cute in his helmet. It doesn't look like it bothers him at all.

Stacey said...

I love his cute smile!! He is a champ... I think Devery needs one of those just to protect herself from the big sister. Your dad is funny! Don't let him ever read my blog because it bad spelling GALORE!!